Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Family Jargon, Part 5

Unibrow Taillights: Taillights where the red lenses connect in the center, giving the appearance of one, continuous light. An example is this Saturn SC2.
.
Escrow Papers: Part of Lucas’ weekly homework routine involves the need for a parent’s signature on each of his take-home assignments, every daily entry of his reading log, his daily planner, and his take-home folder. The escrow papers are so named because we have to “sign and date here…initial here, here, here, and here”…just like when closing escrow on a house.
.
Courtesy Kibble: Every morning, Jango screams for food as if she’s being starved to death. Most times, her bowl is empty. But every so often, the bowl will still have a quite a few nuggets in it. In those cases, I’ll toss in 2 or 3 pieces of courtesy kibble to trick the cat into thinking she’s getting a fresh serving.
.
New-Old: Any used or discarded item that is old to someone else, but new to me. Most of my new-old items consist of vintage dishes, second hand furniture, or the used books I find at Goodwill.
.
Three D Bands: Bands whose names start with “Three D”. Examples include Three Days Grace, Three Doors Down, and Three Dog Night. Courtesy of Lucas.
.
Siesta Wear: My fancy term for pajamas.
.
Laverne & Shirley Doors: This can best be explained by this picture from our bathroom. If you still don't get it, you didn't watch enough TV in the late '70s.

Siamese Chaperone: The role Jango assumes when she jumps on the bed and plants herself in between me and Quinton, thwarting any attempt we may make at physical contact. Q came up with this one.
.
Taco Bite: Asking for a taste of someone’s food and taking more than is offered. Eating at a Mexican restaurant, my dinner consisted of two grilled shrimp tacos. Before I started my second taco, Kyle asked if he could have a bite. I held up the taco and Kyle wrapped his entire mouth around it like a boa constrictor eating a dead rat. In one bite, Kyle had eaten more than half of my taco. Granted, it wasn’t a very big taco, but it was half of my meal. Now, whenever he anyone wants a bite of my food, I usually say yes, but “no taco bites!”
.
Al Gore Light Bulbs: Lucas gets credit for this one. It’s what he calls those “green” (yet mercury filled), politically correct, uber-trendy, compact fluorescent light bulbs that are useless for anything more than a very dim nightlight.
.
John Kerry Ketchup: It’s what Lucas calls any Heinz product.

Family Jargon, Part 4
Family Jargon, Part 3
Family Jargon, Part 2
Family Jargon, Part 1

4 comments:

DS Mark said...

Love the Laverne & Shirley Doors!

Ms. Val said...

I am SO GLAD somebody got that!

RainbowDishes said...

The Laverne & Shirley doors are great. Poor Jango looks scared to death in that picture. "What are those crazy humans doing? Meow. i was enjoying my nap in the bathroom sink. Meow meow. Get away from me with that camera. Meow. I need to groom before I pose for any pictures. Meow meow. MEOW!"

Ms. Val said...

I don't think Jango was scared so much as wondering why there were so many people in the bathroom at the same time (me, Lucas, and Kyle, who was taking the picture).

And she doesn't nap in the sink. She was waiting for her drink. That will be explained further in FJ, Part 6.