Friday, March 07, 2008

Pranksters: Kyle's Joke

The boys usually get home from school around 3:45. Around 3:40, the phone rang. It was Kyle, and he told me that he was in detention.

"Oh, really! What did you do?" I asked.
"I got in a fight," Kyle answered. (I knew it wasn't true...I'll explain why in a minute. At this point, I'm just playing along.)
"Why? And who were you fighting with?"
"'Frankie'...it happened on the playground at lunch."
"Why didn't the school call me?"
"I don't know."
"So, do you need me to pick you up?"

One Mississippi...two Mississippi...

"Kyle....?"
"What?"

Three Mississippi...four Mississippi...

"I know you're not in detention."
"Yes I am, Mom! I got in a fight with Frankie and got in trouble and..."
"You're at Kolton's house?"
"No, I'm not. I had to stay after school in detention!"
"Then how come Kolton's phone number showed up on the caller-ID?"

Laughter rang out in the background.

Aside from the caller-ID display, Kyle's fight story was full of holes. For starters, had there really been a fight, I would have been called by the principal, and asked to come down to the school. Second, Kyle wouldn't be able to make phone calls from detention. And third, he had me on speaker phone so Kolton could hear the conversation. Lastly, Kyle doesn't get in trouble in school.

Nope...not MY kid!!!! :-)~

0 comments: