Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Double Fleeced!

Ever feel like the whole world is trying to swindle you out of your money? That's how I felt yesterday when I was overcharged not once, but twice...and at two consecutive points of sale.

In the morning, I went shopping at Wal-Mart. Not my favorite store, but they do have these cool flower pots that come in the same bright colors as Fiesta ware. While there, I also picked up some miscellaneous items we needed for the house.

After I left Walley World, I went to Q's office and picked him up for lunch. As we headed to the restaurant, he was checking my Wal-Mart receipt for any FSA eligible items.

"You bought three boxes of allergy medicine?" he asked.
"No, I bought two: one for day and one for nighttime use. Why?"
Q inspected the receipt further: "They double-charged you for the generic Benadryl."

I was going to just let it go. I really didn't feel like driving back to Wal-Mart, hassling with parking, standing in line, etc. Anyway, it was only $4.78. My time is certainly worth more than that. Anyway, it's time to eat.

We ate lunch at a place called Native New Yorker. Both of us ordered from the lunch menu, where every entree was $5.99. The service was slow and the food was mediocre. In fact, I've had better pizza in a hospital cafeteria.

When the bill arrived, I noticed that we had been charged $8.99 for the spinach and feta salad. Obviously, this was the dinner price. I was POSITIVE this item was on the lunch menu!!!! We made the waitress adjust the bill.

As we drove back to Q's office, I was miffed. I felt like everyone was trying to take us for more money than they were entitled to. After I dropped Q off, I decided to return to Wal-Mart and get my money back for the Benadryl I didn't buy.

The guy at the customer service desk (who looked like he could be Ashton Kutcher's little sister) was very nice about it. He gave me back the overage--$5.18 after tax--without problem. I have a feeling this happens all the time.

It had to be done. While we're not poor, that $5.18 means more to us than it does to the giant Wal-Mart corporate machine. I mean, with that money, I can buy a gallon and a half of gas!!!!! Or maybe a brightly colored flower pot.

0 comments: