Tuesday, October 03, 2006

EVal KineVal

I am not a person who lives dangerously. My idea of living on the edge is making a left turn out of the Fry's parking lot near my house! In fact, I think this healthy fear of daredevil behavior has gotten me all the way to the age of 33.

But last night was different. As I was leaving for school, I noticed the gas tank was low...I mean, VERY low--way below one-quarter. No problem. I'll stop at one of the dozen stations I pass on the way to school.

I approached to the Circle K station at Happy Valley Road. $2.29 per gallon! It's below $2.20 everywhere else in the Phoenix area. No thank you.

Five miles south at the 101 Freeway, there's a Mobile station, but I refuse to go there due to the nature of their business practices. For the longest time, this was the only station in the area. Well, this made them so arrogant that they don't even have a sign posting their prices!

Two miles away at Bell Road is an Arco station. I won't stop there, either because they charge a 25 cent fee if you pay with your debit card. Keep driving.

Right after I passed the Arco station, I noticed a flash of yellow in my periperhal vision. The "Low Fuel" light had just kicked on. $#!T!!!!! I've never seen that before!

At Greenway Road, there's a Diamond Shamrock station. Their price is $2.17. I'd like to stop, but I'm in the wrong lane. Double $#!T!!!!! Besides, I'd kind of like to stop someplace where I can make a right-turn in and a right-turn out.

As I approached Thunderbird Road, the whole right lane was blocked due to parking lot construction at the Sonic hamburger place. Traffic merged left and everyone slowed down. I was sweating bullets at this point. I just know the car is going to drop dead here and now where there's no shoulder to pull into. And to make matters worse, the driver in front of me stopped to let other cars out of the Sonic driveway. Nooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Just past the Sonic is another Circle K gas station. Here, the price is $2.19 and it's on the right side of the road. YES!!! I made it...upholding a lifetime streak of never running out of gas. And as an added bonus, I managed to fill up the near-empty tank for just under $30!

5 comments:

kj said...

yay for patience helped along by good timing luck.

ChristopherM said...

We so rarely find an issue where we don't seem to have been separated at birth, but I will say, I ride that empty line on the gas gauge. Before I got Ming Vauze (Honda of Destiny), I thought my previous car had a warning light. It turns out that it didn't, and on Christmas Eve I stranded my pregnant sister-in-law 5 miles outside of my hometown. Oh well, she has turned out to be a skank anyway! LOL!

School is just a couple of miles from home now, and since I drive a Honda Civic, I put gas in my car maybe once every couple of weeks. I love it! I just point and laugh at SUV drivers these days!

Zoe said...

I was sure you were goig to run ot!


I think you would love my friend's blog, check it out: http://citizenow.blogspot.com/
or mine
http://globalcitzen-zoe.blogspot.com/


Comment back!!!

sincerely, zoe

Ces Adorio said...

I have never laughed so hard. Gee Val, I can't live a life like that. Pay the 29 cents, PLEASE!!!

Which is probably why I will never be rich! LOL!!!!

Ms. Val said...

kj...praying hard helped too.

Christopher, you're playing with fire here. Just don't go on the freeway on a near empty tank.

Zoe, thank you for stopping by. I'll check out your blog as soon as I get some homework done.

Ces, no, I'm sorry, I can't do that.

Beth! It's so nice to hear from you. You're probably right about having a few extra gallons left, but I don't like to risk it. In fact, I usually top off at half--except in times of shortages. It hurts my wallet less that way.