Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Confessions of a Bargain Hunter

I love a good bargain. For me, the best kinds of bargains are the ones that occur when you’ve been coveting an item for awhile. It can be any item: a Fiesta vase…a cashmere scarf…set of 1000 thread count bedsheets. You stare at its picture on a store website. You cut its picture out of a store circular. You read the description over and over. You might even go to the store to visit your desired bauble.

You wait. And wait, hoping it will go on sale. Then one day, you break down and decide to treat yourself. You’re going to buy this item you’ve been wanting so much. You approach the cashier to make the purchase, and…your item rings up at far less than what you expected to pay. For me, that has to be the best kind of bargain rush.

Other bargain hunting rules I live by:

--I never, Never, NEVER, NEVER, go to Linens 'n' Things or Bed, Bath and Beyond without a coupon. I'll bet I've gotten enough of those blue and white 20% off cards to wallpaper the downstairs bathroom.

--And speaking of the downstairs bathroom, the reason I haven't redecorated it yet is because the mirror I want is at Joann Superstore, and I haven't yet received a 40% off coupon from them. The regular price of the mirror is $100. That coupon would give me a $40 savings, people!!!!!

--Errant eBay listings always make my day.

--Staples always offers free shipping on purchases of $50 or more. Once, when buying $48.58 in printer ink cartridges, I added a $1.49 pack of unneeded BIC pens just to qualify for free shipping. I do the same thing at Amazon.com.

--I save and reuse gift bags, shirt boxes, and bows.

--Often,--usually during holdiay weekends-- our grocery store has soda on sale for $2.50 per 12 pack, limit 4. At that price, I want more than that!!! During those times, I will buy my limit. But then, I will load a second shopping cart with 4 additional soda boxes, give Kyle my extra shopper's card, $12 cash, and send him to check-out line to pay.

--Speaking of Kyle, I have taught him that it's better to buy a used Nintendo game for $7 at Amazon Marketplace than for $20 at Target. The extra cash in has pocket means that waiting a few days for the game to arrive in the mail is not a big deal.

--I don't buy liners for the small garbage cans. Plastic grocery bags work just as good.

--I can't smell fresh flowers, baked goods, or barbecue. But I can smell a clearance rack a mile away.

--I keep driving until I find cheaper gas...even if the tank is near empty.

--I open department and specialty store charge accounts just for the coupons. This is the only reason I got a Victoria's Secret account. As Q once said: "Geez, they really rob you women on the price of bras!" My husband has seen the light.

--I have taught our two boys that for the $2 apiece that the ice cream man charges for popsicles, I can go to the grocery store and buy enough popsicles to feed every kid on our street.


--I rarely ever turn down free furniture. If I don't have room for it, I will MAKE room!

--If you're willing to wait long enough, it WILL go on sale.

4 comments:

ChristopherM said...

1) Where are you getting coupons for Bed Bath & Beyond? I never get those!

2) I had to pay full price for a pair of khakis at Banana Republic a couple of months back, and it was PAINFUL for me! I had to have the pants for a particular event (and I had outgrown the ones I had), and those were the only ones that looked right. I guess it makes up for the $70 sweater I got there for $20.

3) Friends with employee discounts are a wonderful thing if you can find them, hence the cheap sweater I just mentioned.

4) The price of gift bags is stupid, and it is bad for the environment just to toss them. I always reuse them too. Craig commented over the weekend that we needed to do something to get gifts soon because we're almost out of them.

Ms. Val said...

Christopher, I'm on some mailing list for BB&B. I think Q's on the list too, so we get 'em double. I wouldn't be surprised if the boys and Jango started getting them too!

And paying full price can't always be avoided--especially if your size is hard to find. I remember that from WAYYY back when Q had a 33 inch waist. 32 was too small and 34 was too big. I'll also pay full sticker if I find something I really want and there's only one left in my size.

Ces Adorio said...

Val you are the champion shopper. I am amazed by your batgain finds.

M. said...

Val, I was skimming through Ces's site and clicking her links and found yours and think you need to come check out my favorite site for deals and freebies galore. I have been a member for a year and have saved a ton of cash, also gotten a number of free items. Most recently a brand new Senseo coffee maker. WooHoo! Come join where we all understand how you are. :D
http://forums.gottadeal.com/index.php?referrerid=31289
JIC: you are wondering I am Mandy, Firemansgal311 from MedGrn. ;)