Monday, August 24, 2009

Goodbye Summer !!

My very busy summer is quickly coming to an end. I return to school tomorrow.

It all started in June when I decided to take an algebra class. Math has never been my strong suit and I just wanted to get it out of the way.

That class took me the WHOLE month of June. When I wasn't physically attending the class, I was doing and redoing the homework and watching class lectures online. I did take one afternoon off to drive Kyle and his friends to Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen on opening day. As the only live parent without a job, that chore fell squarely in my lap. Anyway, I ended the 4 week, 4 credit algebra class with a B. Oh, happy day!

July was our month for traveling. My first trip was to the HLCCA Conference in Pittsburgh. On the 8th, I flew to Indianapolis, where Craig picked me up. From there we drove to the Embassy Suites in Pittsburgh, where many conference attendees had already congregated. We met up with Shane, Brad, and Nich...at which time hi-jinx ensued. More on that in a future post.

Later in the month, we took a big family trip to southern California with my mom, sister, brother-in-law, and nieces. We spent the week just being tourists. We went to Knott’s Berry Farm, Soak City, a medieval themed dinner show, the beach, and a few baseball games.

And in true tourist fashion, we got lost on the way to Dodgers' Stadium. That park is located in downtown LA, near the confluence of like seven freeways. So if you're in the wrong lane at the wrong time, you're SCREWED! The lack of stadium-related signage didn't help matters. One bright spot to this little detour was that we got to drive past the famed Bonaventure Hotel. That made me giddy

While in California, we went antique shopping in downtown Orange. At one of the malls, I spotted this rare piece of Fiesta--a maroon covered mustard dish. At $2,200, it was too rich for my blood. But the owner saw me admiring it and she took it out of the glass case. Yes, I got to touch the rare mustard! :-)



So far, August has been spent taking care of back to school-related errands. Orientation nights, meet-the-teacher events, supply shopping, doctors appointments, etc...etc...etc... Kyle is now in high school. He's enjoying it so far...or so he says. The information he shares with me is about what can be expected from a boy of almost 15. Speaking of which, his birthday is on Thursday.

Luke is now in 6th grade. They now follow the same format as the junior high grades in that he has to switch classes every period. Luke will still be participating in band and in the next month will be starting baseball.

Q and I have spent the the last few days replacing the floor in our bathroom. After 10 years and a few large mold spots, the temporary carpet is history. Pictures of this project will be posted upon completion.

2 comments:

papa said...

I have never heard of this mustard! How cool!
And BTW, summer ain't over for me til the snow flies!

Ms. Val said...

Papa, I hadn't heard of the mustard either until I saw it in person. Apparently there's a small stash of maroon vintage Fiesta floating around out there. Some of it is being made available at the upcoming Strawser's auction.