Thursday, June 18, 2009

Summertime Sloth


The worst part of summer vacation? I do more before 8 AM than my kids do all day. Today, I went to my algebra class and ran a few errands. I got home around lunchtime to find the only one awake was the cat. Disheartening, yes?
.
Since school has ended, my kids have gotten night and day switched around. They stay up late and sleep in even later. I don't necessarily enforce bedtime during vacations. That's just not a battle I care to fight. And I won't fight it so long as they keep the TV volume down and the hallway lights turned off. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case last night.
.
My displeasure came to a head around 11:30. After repeated requests to keep the noise level down, I blew my stack d had a meltdown of cosmic proportions made the boys shut off their TV and computer and go to bed.
.
It's very difficult for us non-idle types to subsist on less than eight hours of sleep. I have to be up by 6 for a 7:00 class, and Q needs to be at work not long after. It doesn't help matters that the Siamese Alarm Clock goes off around 4:30. We don't need the inconsideration of being kept awake by the sound of giggling over the lastest installment of Robot Chicken.
.
To say that the boys weren't happy at my breaking up laze fest is an understatement. But I felt that I had no choice if I didn't want to arrive at school looking like the walking dead.
.
In the future, if the boys want their all night bum parties to continues, they need to show a modicum of regard for their dad--the guy whose job makes it possible for us to even HAVE cable TV and high-speed Internet. And their mom, who washes their clothes, buys their snacks, and plays hostess to all their friends. That means, after 10:00, the action gets moved downstairs to the living room.

0 comments: