Sunday, October 08, 2006

Ms. Val's Bargain of the Week

Since I had to cough up a pretty penny for a new set of tires this week, I wasn't able to pick up any real bargains. Unless you want to hear about how I bought a can of olives for 69 cents the other day. I didn't think so.

Instead I'd like to share the tale of an unexpected bargain that fell upon Kyle's about five years ago.



There was a Lego town set he had been wanting. It was called Roadside Repair. The set cost $50 (Legos aren't cheap), which is a lot of money for a 7-year old to save up. So I made him a deal: if he saved up half the money, I’d kick in the other half.

Kyle was very diligent about saving his pennies. He did extra jobs around the house. He helped a neighbor pull weeds. He also fished loose change out of the sofa cushions and from under the clothes dryer. I think one, or both of his Grandmas might have spotted him a few bucks.

Anway, It took a good month or so, but he saved up that $25. And when he did, I drove him to the toy store after school to pick up the Lego set.

When we got register to pay, I went fishing for my debit card. Meanwhile, Kyle was shoveling his life savings--mostly ones and coins--into my purse. But wait! The total for the Lego set rang up to $26 and change, after tax! After we got to the car, I gave Kyle $13 of the cash he had just put in my purse.

Kyle was shocked: "Mama, that's your money for the Lego set!"
I explained to him that the set had gone on sale for alot less than we were expecting to pay. "And I did promise to pay half. A deal's a deal."

Kyle grinned from ear to ear: "Cooooool......"

It would have been really easy for me to let Kyle pay for the entire Lego set himself. After all, he did have enough cash to cover the entire purchase alone. But I truly felt that I should pass the savings on to him. It was the Mommy thing to do. Plus, I wanted him to experience the rush of getting a good deal--and an unexpected one at that.

I don't remember how he spent the $13 he had leftover. All I know was he walked out of the toy store with a Lego set, extra cash, and the knowledge that delayed gratification can pay dividends.

4 comments:

Ces Adorio said...

This is a great story Val and says a lot about Kyle. That Kyle is one neat kid. I love the way he calls you "Mama".

kj said...

i agree with ces. i wonder if he'll be telling this story to his kids. i wouldn;t be surprised.

ChristopherM said...

Why is it that when I hear about Val being called "Mama," I picture her doing the "When You're Good to Mama" number from "Chicago"? Hee hee hee!!!

Ms. Val said...

Yeah, well this was five years ago. Both the boys called me "Mama" right up until last year. We were in Montana and their cousins referred to their parents as Mom and Dad. My boys started doing the same thing.

It broke my heart, really. But this isn't Southfork Ranch. My boys can't call me Mama forever.