Thursday, August 31, 2006

Thursday 13


1. I hate being late for anything. When going anywhere, I always make allowances for heavy traffic, construction, road closures, or car trouble. As a result, I usually get to my destination so early that I end up trying to kill time before my appointment or class.

2. I have never tried any illegal drugs in my life. And I wouldn’t know where or how to acquire them if I wanted to.

3. I hate repeating myself.

4. I like “City of New Orleans”, as sung by Arlo Guthrie. Quinton strongly favors the Willie Nelson version. We will be fighting out that issue ad infinitum.

5. On Tuesday, Lucas informed me that he didn't make it into his school's SAGE program. He took the news better than I did.

6. For Halloween last year, I dressed up as Paul Stanley from KISS.

7. I am too vain for my own good.

8. I want the weather to hurry up and cool off so I can start hiking again. I'm anxious to try out a new hiking trail that was constructed near the house.

9. Kyle and Luke like me to e-mail them…even if it is quicker for me to walk in the other room and talk to them in person.

10. I can hold conversations while driving, but don’t ask me thought-provoking questions while I’m trying to negotiate a difficult left turn. You will be ignored.

11. My favorite time of the day is the morning down time I get after the rest of the family has left for work and school. I love having the house to myself. I get to eat breakfast, read blogs, and watch the news in peace and quiet.

12. I only buy cinnamon-flavored toothpaste.

13. I love it when Lucas makes jokes about my music choices. Once while listening to Captain and Tennille, he politely asked me to “please turn off that middle-age sex music”. Then the other day, the iPod was playing Mongo Santamaria. Over the lively Latin music, Luke chirped: “Hi, welcome to Garcia’s! Will there be four of you dining this evening?”

8 comments:

Maria said...

Ms. Val,

10. Likewise... heck, I can't even talk when I'm trying to merge!

12. Now that's a first! I didn't even know there's a cinnamon-flavored toothpaste.

13. Luke is funny! I love it.

Please do, please use the multi-colored blown glass on your desktop. I'm flattered. I took them at Bellagio's.

m.e.

ChristopherM said...

Luke is a bit of a smarty-pants...I like him!

Ms. Val said...

Maria, the cinnamon toothpaste is Crest Whitening Expressions Cinnamon Rush. You can get it at any store where toothpaste is sold. Also, thanks for letting me use the picture.

Christopher, Luke is NOT a bit of a smarty-pants. He's a LOT of a smarty-pants!!!!! He's Mama's boy!

Anonymous said...

Hi Val! My family loved Garcia's when we spent three different Spring Breaks in and around Scottsdale. We all talk about going back there for another vacation. (My husband got his Master's degree at ASU).

I enjoy reading Your, Ces, and Christopher's blogs. Just don't usually have much to contribute. Julie

Ms. Val said...

Julie, Scottsdale is a nice place to vacation. I just wish I could afford a house there. They have the best shopping around here.

Thank you for reading our blogs. Stop by and you're welcome comment anytime...even if you have nothing to say.

Ces Adorio said...

Cinnamon! I'd be eating the toothpaste. There with you Val. Illicit/illegal drugs are really stupid. There is no such thing as cool with drugs. Look at Christopher's daughter. She is a mess!

kj said...

val, you win the annual contest for the absolute best, most creative, and most riviting "thursday 13" signs. i am amazed by how you do it! i would love to be able to do that myself, but i have no idea.

your family sounds spunky!

i'm with you on the arlo guthrie version. on a related note, alice of 'alice's restaurant" lives in provincetown and has an open studio there. it always brings me back in time.

have a good holiday weekend.

kj

Ms. Val said...

kj, the signs are easy as pie. There's lots of great choices here: http://www.customsigngenerator.com/

Some of these signs take a little practice to get them looking authentic. But it's a great way to waste an afternoon.