Monday, August 07, 2006

They're GONE!!!!!

And I'm pi$$ed! I hate losing things. And it happens more often than I care to admit. Currently, my house keys are missing, and it's bothering me to the point of insanity.

The last time I had them was Saturday when Luke and I were out shopping. On the way home, we stopped to get the mail. He fished the keys out of my purse, checked the box (it was empty), got back in the car, and put them back in my purse. I haven't seen them since.

I have thoroughly searched every room in the house. I have rifled through every junk drawer, pen and pencil cup, paper pile, countertop, desktop, tabletop, sofa cushion, and dirty clothes hamper we've got. I even looked inside every disk pitcher, carafe, vase, and gravy boat I have on display. I didn't find the keys, but I found every pair of scissors I've ever owned!

This evening, I looked through both cars--twice. I even opened up the collapsable windshield sunscreens thinking the keys fell into the folds. No dice.

So I hit the phones. Kyle and Quinton went to a baseball game on Saturday, so I took Luke out for pizza. I called the pizza place to see if anyone had turned in any keys. They hadn't. Same story with Old Navy and Wal-Mart.

Luckily, they're only my house keys. We keep the car keys on separate rings because Q and I swap cars so often. And I don't have any spares because I loaned them all out when Q was in the hospital and my sister and mom were helping me out with the boys. I simply haven't asked for them back.

It seems to me that lost items only turn up when a) I am busy looking for another lost item--as was the case with the scissors, or b) I replace said item.

And that's exactly what I'm going to do. Tomorrow, I'm going to borrow Kyle's house keys and Q's mailbox key, and I will down to Ace Hardware to have new copies made. Then, when I go to pay for the new keys, my old ones will fall out of a previously undiscovered rip in the lining of my purse!

3 comments:

Ces Adorio said...

I would find that disturbing. I have misplaced my keys before especially when I am wearing jackets with a lot of pockets. They are always inside a pocket somewhere.

kj said...

you have the inside scoop on how the universe works!

:)
kj

Ms. Val said...

No, kj, I really don't. I had new keys made this afternoon, but my old keys remain missing.

I did find a screwdriver Q had lost, however.