Sunday, May 28, 2006

We Have A New Baby!!!!


Her name is Li'l Miss Jango Jones...Jango, for short. JJ, for shorter. She's a 2 year old chocolate point Siamese, whose owner died, and we adopted her from the local Humane Society. She was shy and seemed very extremely dejected when we first saw her. But Q and I took her into a "get acquainted" room, where she was very receptive to our petting and scratching her ears.

Jango is a very vocal kitty--sort of. She cried the whole ride home. She cried while she explored the house. And then...NOTHING! Our new kitty was gone. We searched the house everywhere. Under beds...in closets and cabinets...behind furniture. No Jango. We were so sure she had somehow escaped.

When the boys got home from school, we resumed the search. Still no kitty. Later that night, Kyle decided to check under his bed again. There, among all the Lego boxes, empty water bottles, and school papers were 2 little eyes peering back at him. "MOM, I think I found your cat!!!!" he announced.

We knew Jango was frightened, but I had to get out of her hiding place just long enough to show her where her food, water and litter box were located. She sniffed around her things and ran back under Kyle's bed, where she stayed for another few days.

Fast forward to Saturday. Jango still prefers to stay under the beds, but she's no longer afraid to come out and pay us the occasional visit. She is getting used to us and the boys, and seems to enjoy the attention the boys lavish on her.

We just wish Miss JJ would eat more. The food I put out for her--both dry and canned--goes largely uneaten. Although last night, I found her munching on some of the boys dropped food crumbs under the dinner table. Quinton then theorized that her former owner must have fed her mostly people food. That makes sense to me, but now it's time to break training.

The only way I know how to do this is to introduce new foods until I find one Jango will eat. So far, she's rejected Cat Chow. Purina 1 is out, too. As is every flavor of 9 Lives canned food I've offered. Of course, I can't afford to buy a bag of every food at the store. So this morning, I went over to the dollar store to buy a few kinds of inexpensive cat food. Meow Mix is currently sitting in her bowl waiting for her to discover it.

My next avenue is to visit as many cat food companies' websites as I can find and seek out free samples. I'm also taking Jango to the vet next week. I'll be anxious to see what they have to say.

2 comments:

Ces Adorio said...

Oh how sweet. Jango found a loving home but maybe she still misses her former owner. I hope she eats soon. Congratulations - you got your birthday present! Oh, you better put away the Fiesta.

Ms. Val said...

Thank you, Ces. I took Miss JJ to the vet today and she has an upper respiratory infection...likely caught at the animal shelter. The vet gave us some meds to treat the infection and some high calorie cat food that should hopefully jump start her appetite.