Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Quinton's back at the hospital

I had to take Quinton back to the hospital this evening. He began having nausea and vomiting over the weekend. He went to the doctor on Monday. Blood tests were ordered at that time, and all came back normal, but he his calcium level was critically high--a condition known as hypercalcemia. Symptoms of hypercalcemia include nausea, vomiting, lethargy, diminished mental capacity, and abdominal pain--all of which Q has been having.

A normal, healthy calcium level is between 8.7 and 10.4. Quinton's was 16.1. In fact, the lab tested his calcium twice and the results were sky high both times. Hypercalcemia is a very serious condition. If left untreated, it could lead to heart problems, kidney stones, kidney failure, and other bad stuff that my brain is too fuzzy to remember.

Anyway, Q had another doctor's appointmentment today. That's when we were advised to return to the hospital. In fact, the doctor wanted us to go right there after leaving his office. But we needed to run home first because the boys would be returning from school soon.

When the boys got home from school, I met them at the door and informed that we're leaving RIGHT NOW...after they grab their snacks and Game Boys. They both behaved so good through all of today's drama.

They got Q right in at the Mayo ER, but since the boys weren't allowed outside the waiting area, I had to stay with them--Q went back alone. After waiting an hour, I took the boys for dinner at In-N-Out Burger.

When we returned to the ER, I was told Q was still in the back and that I could go see him. I had the boys sit in the waiting area while I went to check on their dad. (Incidentally, being forced to choose between my husband and kids is excruciatingly difficult!)

When I found Q, he was sleeping on a gurney in the hall while he waited for one of those little ER exam rooms to open up. He seemed comfortable, but it was apparent he was going to be there awhile. It was after 7:00 and he encouraged me to take the boys home. I damn near cried. I knew it was what I had to do, but it was SO HARD leaving Q there by himself.

So, that's where things stood when I left. It's 8:30 now so they will probably keep him overnight. I did implore him to call me later when he knows more....no matter what time it is.

More to come.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Val

So sorry to hear this news. I know you guys are working hard to get over this and to get Q. well.

My family has Q. and you and the boys in our prayers.

Barry in RI