Sunday, August 13, 2006

Ms. Val's Bargain of the Week


Pretty much anything from IKEA. But my biggest bargain was a 3-pack of scissors for $1.99. I bought two packs. Other goodies I picked up: a pair of pot holders ($.99), a twin-size fitted sheet ($4.99), a 2' x 4' woven striped rug ($3.99), and a large glass measuring cup ($4.99). But my favorite purchase was this adorable pedestal table ($19.99).

My mom and I made the 50 mile trek to IKEA last weekend. Going there is always an experience. Here are a few highlights:

--Upon driving into the parking lot, we noticed a Suburban with a trailer hooked to the back. Somebody's buying dorm furniture for the triplets!

--We also saw a Miata parked nerby. Somebody came to IKEA and they brought the Miata? I suppose it's possible they only stopped in for a set of placemats and some flatware. Yeah, right. That's what I said when Q and I once went there in the Mustang. We came for shelves for Kyle's room and ended up driving home with the top down and a 6'+ patio umbrella woven between the seats and across my lap.

--Beware of the lighting. Lucas had spotted a small firefly wall lamp that would go perfectly in his bug-themed room. The lamp itself was $6.99, but it required special light bulbs that cost $8.99 for a 2 pack. That's a lot of money for light bulbs, especially light bulbs from IKEA. Oh, and let's not forget the fact that the bulbs cost more than the light itself! No thanks. I helped Lucas pick out another lamp.

--I found a lamp that I would love for the family room. I passed because it cost $35. While that's not a lot of money, it is a lot of money for a lamp from IKEA!

--I was disappointed that they didn't have the silk striped cushion covers that I had been coveting. This is a surprise considering that these particular covers were featured prominately in their 2007 catalog.

Runner-up: Today, I bought a gallon of milk at Fry's for $1.67. Regular price is $3.59.

3 comments:

kj said...

val, i love to gallavant at ikea too. it's about 50 miles from me as well.

my best purchase so far is a simple little plastic watering can with a long nozzle that works perfectly. at least that's what the zinnias say.

Ces Adorio said...

I have never been to IKEA but I always thought it is a place I would love to visit. One of these days, I will convince my husband that we need more bookshelves. I cannot believe your Bargains of The Week posts. Some of the items you find are almost give-aways. The only back to school shopping I have done are the pima polo shirts and skorts from Lands' End.

Ms. Val said...

Ces, some of my best bargain finds have come from the Lands' End overstock site. Last year, I had been coveting a pink twill belted raincoat. But at $100, it was a bit much for a place that gets very little rain--and even less rain accompanied by cold weather. So I let it go.

Several months later, that same coat came on LE overstocks for $19.99. SOLD to the overdressed mom in the desert.

I've only been able to wear the coat a few times, but at $20, I don't feel bad about not wearing it much.